Friday, June 12, 2009

Working on today


I have a project in my shop that I'm almost done with... just needing to put a stain and finish on. The project is a base 4 drawer unit out of hickory wood and an upper wall cabinet made to customer's dimensions. While using a hickory style and rails and drawer heads I'm using birch plywood for the box sides and back. I've installed many cabinets and have found out how cheap many companies make this part of the cabinet... It's almost shameful how much cabinetry costs that little to no strength is designed and used into making a cabinet. For this product I used ½ inch ply for the sides with a hickory veneer to produce a stable box for the cabinet... The styles and rails used for the face frames are constructed using a pocket hole type construction. I've found out that this is not only easy and quick but a very strong joint and produces a very good product. After fixing many a drawer box that has fallen apart... I decided to use a multi layer birch ply... not the usual 5 ply but I believe this one is 9 ply and is stronger and better for durability. The hardware I used was a light weight type drawer hardware chosen by the customer. I would have liked to use a better quality drawer glide that has durability and longevity of life to the most wearing part of a cabinet… Granted the cabinet box doesn’t have to be ¾ in ply to be strong but the hardware of a cabinet will take a beating for every day use. This is where I have seen many cabinet companies fall short on quality. Sometimes I think that if the designer would have to install his own product in his own house before he could sell it I think he would change his mind of how to build it…(just my thoughts)

No comments:

Post a Comment